I know, I know, it’s been a while I haven’t updated the blog but I’m about to give you a challenge that will make up for my absence.
First, let’s talk about goals. How are your New Year resolutions going? Are you still going strong? Are you finding yourself losing the motivation to keep going? Well I have the PERFECT solution for you. I want you to prove to yourself that you ARE committed by following a few simple food, fitness and positive thinking suggestions.
Now I know the question that’s on everyone’s mind, “What do I eat?” Before we get to the actual food I would recommend you to concentrate on, I want to ensure I share with you a few key points:
- No calorie counting required. Yeap that’s right I don’t calorie count. Appropriate portion sizes are all you need
- Eat smaller portions but eat often, every 2-3 hours a day. In total, I roughly eat 6-8 meals a day
- Drink WATER, sometimes we THINK we’re hungry but really, we’re just dehydrated, so chug that water! Try to aim for 1-2 litres of water a day
- If you workout in the morning, eating a simple grapefruit or some berries 15-30 mins beforehand will provide you with quick energy to get you through your workout
- Your post workout meal should include both a complex carb and some protein (list will be provided below)
- Include protein in every meal (this will keep you satisfied)
- It’s okay to eat at night. If you’re hungry, reach for some egg whites or a quick protein shake with 1tbsp of nut butter. You do NOT need carbohydrates late at night, carbs provide you with sustainable energy, which….isn’t needed at 10PM
Ok, now that we’ve got those out of the way, let’s get to FOOD! Below is the list of foods you should have on hand. I’ve placed them in their own category (Protein, Complex Carbs, Fruits, Veggies and Fats).
White Fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy, etc)
Protein Powder (shake, pancakes, Coco Protein Cake or Fudge (recipe to come))
Cream of Rice
Fruits (max 2 servings a day)
Pure Pumpkin/Unsweetened Apple Sauce (for protein pancakes)
Nut Butters (1tbsp a day MAX)
Now this isn’t a FULL list, it’s mainly the clean food I personally enjoy to have and works for ME. Get creative with spices and mix different veggies with your proteins. You can definitely make it work for 7 days;)
Now let’s talk about what we’ll AVOID this week:
- Alcohol (yeap even on the weekend)
- Dairy (stick to almond or coconut milk if needed)
- Juice (don’t DRINK your calories, eat them)
- Sweets (take that sugar OUT)
What about fitness?
Since we all have different fitness styles: some like to weight train (me, me,me!!!), dance, participate in group classes, workout to DVDs, etc. the fitness portion of this challenge will be more about CHALLENGING yourself. I want you to make sure to make every workout count. Don’t just show up to workout, I want you to give it your all. If you workout three times a week, great! Make them COUNT. Be conscious that you’re moving to better your health, body and mind.
If you don’t currently have a fitness routine, fear not, start small. A simple 30 min walk 3 times a week will help. Just start moving. Turn those walks into jogs and work your way up. Start small and watch yourself progress. So for this week, MOVE and CHALLENGE yourself.
Last but definitely not least, this week I want you to STAY POSITIVE. It’s crazy how GOOD your day can be when you don’t let the small stuff bother you. Try keeping a smile on your face, not only will it make YOU feel better but it will have a ripple affect on the people that you encounter at the gym, at work and even at home. Imagine when your boyfriend/friend/family member comes home in a terrible mood, how does that affect you? Now think how different you’d feel if they came home with a big smile on their face and greeted you with a pleasant conversation, wouldn’t that automatically make you feel good? Of course it would! Same goes with how you choose to view your day, so why concentrate on negatives when thinking positively has so many rewards?
So how do you participate?
Simple! Be TrulyCommitted for 7 days (Monday-Sunday) by eating clean and kicking some booty with your workouts! You can join in the fun on Instagram by using the #TrulyCommitted hashtag, which I am proud to say has been used over 20, 000 times since I created it back in July!! Wooohooo! Way to be #TrulyCommitted guys! You can share your meals, pre and post-workout selfies (let’s be real we all take them) and everything in between. We’re there to support one another and celebrate our successes together.
But wait…there’s more! My wonderful friend Morgan over at WildlyFit has generously offered to giveaway one tub of TrueStar Protein Powder in either Chocolate or Vanilla to one lucky participant to further help them stay on track! A free tub of protein powder? Umm…yes please! Protein powder is so versatile and to prove that, I’ll share some simple, yet delicious recipes this week! The winner will be picked at random, all you got to do is COMMIT and SUPPORT others to commit as well.
Ok are you ready? We all start tomorrow!! But that doesn’t mean to stuff your face tonight, nope! Drink that water and eat those greens! I’m excited to see you thrive.